Relationships :: Diversity

Quick Update:
Since the last post, I have been busy with school and work. I just finished my first midterm this week, so I figured I have enough time to make a blog post before going back into study-mode.

So today, I have another relationship post, but today it's about diversity. What does diversity mean to you guys? In my opinion, diversity is not only a person's ethnicity or cultural background. It can be anything. Do you have a disability? Do you have any insecurities? (For those of you that live in the U.S.) Do you consider yourself an American? Have you faced racism? Do you have anyone in your family who is LGBTQ? Do you have a religion you are affiliated with? And lastly, do you believe in God? In my opinion, your answers to these questions can help you determine whether you had a chance to experience diversity in your life.

There are over 7 billion people living on Earth today. Personally, I encounter diversity every day, whether it is at school, clinicals, or work. As an orientation leader on campus, we go through a brief diversity course. I have learned that what we label as diversity is usually built on stereotypes that we encountered. For example, we have all heard the statement, "Asian women are bad drivers." But are they really? No, not all of them are. We need to learn to look at a person for who they personally are, not by what background they come from. Just like the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover," we should NOT judge a person by their ethnic background or by how they look.

Although I say all of this. I am only human. I also face situations where I'm judging other people based on their ethnic background. However, as I get to know the person, these thoughts quickly shatter and disappear. I have gone through this situation many times, yet I still find myself acting the same. We are all children of God, so we are all sisters and brothers in Christ, right? From this second forward, I want to take baby steps in seeing people as my brother and sister in Christ. God loves them as who they are, so who am I  to judge a person based off of my human thoughts?

So what is your story? What are your thoughts about diversity?

No comments